Vehicle Review: 2018 Ford Explorer
2018 Ford Explorer Review
There is a reason the Ford Explorer is the top selling SUV for the last 27 years. It’s precise handling and spacious seating makes adventure possible for the whole family.
The 2018 Explorer is no exception. Sheridan Ford has an excellent selection of Explorers. We invite you to Go See Joe and test drive one to see hands on how well it performs, and learn more about our current lease deals.
The customizable 2018 Ford Explorer is powered by one of three engines (you get to choose!).
- 5L Ti-VCT V6: 290 horsepower. Matched to a 6-speed SelectShift® automatic transmission that’s standard with all engines. Twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) allows intake and exhaust valves to adjust independently for precise valve timing control, which helps optimize performance on every trip.
- 3L ECOBOOST®1:280 horsepower.2 310 lb.-ft. of torque.2 This twin-scroll turbocharged, direct injection engine has quick turbine spin-up for responsive acceleration performance. It’s got the power to help you make plenty of memories.
- 5L ECOBOOST®: Best-in-class3 V6 horsepower – 365 hp.2 Plus a robust 350 lb.‑ft. of torque.2 The standard engine on Sport and Platinum empowers you to say yes to any road trip, and lead the way, too.
Make It Your Own
This year’s model has been redesigned for a fresh new look, inside and out. A new grille in addition to front and rear LED energy-efficient lighting give it a stylish, distinct appearance. Comfortable seating for seven comes in a range of choices, such as cloth and leather, for a sleek interior. You may not always need seating for seven. The third-row folds down to create more cargo space.
Driving a Ford is always a great experience, but when you pair it with Sync® 3 and the FordPass™ smartphone app, your experience is made better. FordPass™ allows you to find the best price on fuel along your route, makes finding parking easier, remotely lock or unlock your SUV and schedule service.
SYNC®3 technology allows you to connect your smartphone and set the tone for your commute to work or your cross-country adventure. Voice-activated technology lets you keep your hands on the wheel and responds to your spoken requests to play a certain song, make a call or get directions to your next stop.
Intelligent 4WD with Terrain Management System™1 helps the Explorer give you the seamless shift-on-the-fly confidence to get in, adjust seamlessly and go. This feature makes it easy to drive where you need to, when you need to.
- NORMAL: Normal is ideal for everyday driving on wet or dry paved roads. Hill Descent Control™1,4 (center button) regulates your speed on steep declines, so you can concentrate on driving.
- MUD, RUT: Backroads can get muddy after a good rain. In this mode, powertrain torque is a bit more aggressive, limiting transmission upshifts and letting the wheels spin to get you through the thick stuff.
- SAND: A day at the beach or on the dunes is a blast in a vehicle that takes the soft stuff in stride. In this mode, more aggressive throttle progression and holding gears longer help transfer optimized torque to the wheels. They can spin aggressively to maintain momentum and keep the fun going.
- SNOW, GRAVEL, GRASS: Getting off the beaten path makes life interesting. When you go there in this mode, the transmission delivers earlier upshifts and less aggressive engine torque distribution, limiting wheel slip to help improve traction on tricky terrain. All-season adventures await.
The 2018 Ford Explorer is the perfect vehicle for the everyday commute, and when you need a little heavier lifting through different types of terrain and weather.