2021 Ford Explorer Towing Capacity
With so many scenic campsites and relaxing beaches around Wilmington, New Castle, and Newark, DE, what better way to enjoy them than by bringing along some extra creature comforts? The 2021 Ford Explorer frees you to tow up to 5,600 pounds, the perfect amount of pulling power to make truly memorable adventures—both close to home and far away.
You can learn about how much the 2021 Ford Explorer can tow and more by reading below. Then, don’t hesitate to contact us at Sheridan Ford with any questions you may have!
Ford Explorer Towing Capacity Overview
Engine & Powertrain
2.3L EcoBoost® I-4 with FWD and 4WD
3.0L EcoBoost® V6 with 4WD
3.3L Hybrid V6
When equipped with the available Class III Trailer Tow Package, the 2021 Ford Explorer can tow a maximum 5,600 pounds. With that kind of capability, you can expect to haul items like:
- A small hard-side RV
- A small recreational boat
- A utility trailer with a few snowmobiles
- A small fishing boat
- A pop-up camping trailer and more!
With so many potential toys to tow, this means the whole family will be able to make the most of every annual vacation, day trip, or weekend getaway.
2021 Ford Explorer: Performance You Can Count On
On top of its reliable towing capacity, the Ford Explorer also offers numerous performance-enhancing features that lend a helping hand, whether or not you’re hauling things behind you. A few of these include:
- Terrain Management System™: Lets you switch among seven available selectable drive modes, including Normal, Sport, Trail, Deep Snow/Sand, Slippery, Tow/Haul, and Eco.
- Intelligent 4WD: Continually adjusts braking and powertrain to optimize traction when you encounter challenging road or weather conditions.
- Trailer sway control: Helps you maintain control even when you’re transporting heavy items behind your SUV.
- Side-wind stabilization: If you encounter high winds on the road, this feature ensures you’ll stay safely on course.
- Hill Descent Control™: Whether you have a camper rigged up to your Explorer or you’re about to travel down a steep hill, this system allows you to maneuver down steep slopes safely and confidently.
Seating and Cargo in the Ford Explorer
The 2021 Ford Explorer also offers seating for up to seven passengers, so there’s enough room for the whole family or half the soccer team to fit comfortably. Even with 152.7 cubic feet of passenger volume, there’s plenty of room for your belongings inside the cabin, too.
With each seat filled, you’ll have 18.2 cubic feet of space to fit grocery bags and backpacks. If you need to move more, the 2021 Ford Explorer provides 87.8 cubic feet of maximum cargo room. That’s enough to transport a grand piano!
Have a long drive to the campground or lake? If so, then you’ll want some extra comforts for those long stretches behind the wheel. Luckily, the 2021 Ford Explorer offers a few features that will keep you comfy all year-round. Those features include:
- Tri-zone electronic automatic temperature control: Front and second-row passengers can create their own individualized temperature settings. Whether you’re sweating or shivering, your comfort level is up to you.
- Standard cloth seating: Not only will all passengers enjoy plenty of wiggle room, but they’ll also get to sink into richly upholstered cloth seating.
- 8-way power driver’s seat: Looking to switch out drivers on your trip to the campground? This easy-to-adjust front seat is perfect—and it accommodates tall or small drivers!
- Second-row 35/30/35 split-fold-flat bench seat: Need to make some room for longer cargo, like kayak oars or a few tricycles? This feature (plus the 50/50 split-folding third row) opens up 87.8 cubic feet of cargo room.
Bring on the Cargo
Vacations are exciting and keeping your cargo safe and secure is a must. Because roads can be unpredictable and bumpy, the 2021 Ford Explorer offers standard cargo hooks to help strap down any wobbly or breakable cargo. There’s also an optional Cargo Area Management System package!
2021 Ford Explorer: Technology on the Go
Additionally, inside the 2021 Ford Explorer, you’ll find plenty of high-tech components that both entertain and keep you informed. The optional 12.3-inch digital cluster features 3D animated graphics for each selectable drive mode that makes it easy to adapt.
On the entertainment side, the Ford Explorer offers an available 10.1-inch LCD capacitive portrait touchscreen display that enables you to access many features like:
- FordPass Connect™
- SiriusXM® Radio
- FordPass Connect™ 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot
- Music streaming
- Navigation system and more!
2021 Ford Explorer: Safety on Board
When you’re towing your small hard-side RV or recreational boat, it’s important to have an extra set of eyes watching your back out on the highway. Luckily, the 2021 Ford Explorer equips the Ford Co-Pilot360™ safety suite, which includes these features:
- BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert
- Lane-Keeping System
- Automatic Emergency Braking
- Auto High-Beam Headlamps
- Rear View Camera
You can opt for more safety features by choosing the Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist+ safety suite!